Tuesday, May 10, 2011

LRH: Encouragement for the minimalist approach

I'm so glad that I was shown this post by "That Mom"!


If you've been following our homeschool journey, then you know that I've wavered between curriculum and unschooling.  You probably don't know (because I haven't blogged it!) that we've also strongly considered sending the big kids back to traditional school.  A charter school, but still formal education.

I don't want to send them back to school, it contradicts all that I've come to believe about how children learn!  I do have a (long) way to go towards gaining some semblance of control over my home.  I've been working on this through the 31 Days to Clean Challenge.

Here is my favorite part of That Mom's post (emphasis mine):
4. What is the goal of a real education? One of the common concerns often expressed to us over the years about homeschooling is whether or not we could possibly teach our children everything. My answer is always “no” followed by the correct observation that there is no teacher or institution or family who could possibly teach everything. And it shouldn’t even be a goal!  The vast amount of information, especially technological information, that is generated increases exponentially each year.  Rather than worrying about knowing it all, our goal as homeschoolers ought to be to raise and become, ourselves, lifelong learners.  This is accomplished first by providing an environment rich in life experiences and then giving our children an introduction to ideas and concepts outside of those experiences.  By teaching and training in research skills and not uploading them with information and allowing them plenty of space to study things they are curious about (delight centered learning), we have given them the tools to be successful no matter where the Lord leads them.
Amen!

I'm thankful for this encouragement and affirmation that we are still on the right path!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails