I thought about bleach dying. I thought about making a stencil and using fabric paint. I thought about hand painting it. I thought about splatter painting it. In the end, I thought too long and ran out of time! So, I got a roll of neon pink duct tape and my x-acto knife and went to work.
I started by rolling the rug out and smoothing the wrinkles out as much as possible.
Next, I grabbed an Application Kit so that I could "eyeball" the J from the logo. I also repossessed a stick of sidewalk chalk from my older kids :)
Next, I sketched the J with chalk. You can see it wasn't centered or large enough the first time! (Help from adorable baby eating goldfish crackers while you work is entirely optional.)
After I started laying down the duct tape, I realized that the curved edges were going to need some TLC. Here's a short video of how I did them:
At spots where there was a severe curve, I cut the tape and started a new strip.
Once I was done, I left it in this sunny room so that the wrinkles would smooth out better.
I think that it turned out pretty good! If I were doing a second one, I think that I would do straight strips and free-hand cut the letter with my X-acto knife, but I also think that would take more time and patience!