Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm taking a nap

I'm done.  In the interest of transparency, just in case you were suffering from the illusion that I have it all together, I'm exhausted!

I've spent the beginning of this week cleaning out closets and dismanteling my studio.  We're moving.

UUGGGGG

It's a good thing, we're all excited about the move.  We're going downtown!  We're going to be urban! If it doesn't kill me first.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant (yay, halfway there!).  We homeschool.  I have a toddler who thinks that dumping out the trash and shredded paper bin is the greatest fun.  He also likes to climb.  And jump.

My husband leaves at 7:30 in the morning and gets home at 7:00 at night.  When he arrives, he usually cooks dinner (I know - I'm a blessed girl!).  Then, he's done.  It's DVR'd AGT, devotions and bed.  This is one reason we're moving, to reduce his stress level and increase the time he's able to spend with the family (hopefully those two don't cancel each other out!  LOL)

So, I've been feeling a little lonely in my move-planning.  He doesn't even switch on "moving gear" until the weekend, then there's just not enought time to get anything done around all the other activities!  I sort and box - one for giveaway, one for pack until after the move, then leave out things that we absolutely need or that will help to "stage" the house. 

So, I spend my time culling through our piles of conspicuous consumption, trying to decide if I'll need "this" in the next 3 months, or ever again. Trying to decide if it goes in the "to the vintage store" pile, the "mother-in-law's garage sale" pile, the "to craigslist" pile, to the church or to the trash. If it isn't needed in the next 3 months, it gets packed. As I tape each box and carefully label it, I am at once both glad I'm doing this job (because I'll know what's in there) and with an overwhelming desire to drop it all off at Goodwill. If I can survive for 3 months without it, why not the rest of my life?

If the item is nice and "normal" (read, "looks like it belongs in a model home"), then it gets left out to stage the house.  Staging the house basically means that we should make it look as though no work ever has to be done, there is room for everything and a cleaning fairy comes throguh every night and tidies up.  We're "selling a lifestyle" not a home.  The problem is it's a lifestyle that doesn't exist.  I'm a magician.  POOF, I'm creating it!

And, it makes me tired.

So, I am going to take a nap.

When I wake up, I will address the mess that the children (who are currently "unschooling") and the toddler (who is currently napping, but will surely be awake when I get up) make.  Until then, sweet dreams to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I read every comment and do my best to visit your blog and look around!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails