Monday, February 6, 2012

How to get your husband to do more around the house




First, make sure that you appreciate him for what he does do, even if it's "his job". When he takes out the trash, say thank you (even if it's the third time you've reminded him) Don't nag. You can remind him, but do it in a loving way (i.e. Honey, tomorrow is trash day, would you mind putting the garbage cans out tonight. Next day: Babe, today is trash day, could you please set the trash out for me? Later: Sweetie, did you remember to take the trash out, I know you're busy so I just thought I'd remind you.)


Don't stand over him while he does something, looking for mistakes. If he's doing the dishes, let him "do the dishes". Don't complain that he didn't pre-wash enough, he didn't load the dishwasher right, he used too much soap. If you do, it will do 2 things. It will make him mad (no one likes to be told how to do something) and it will make him less willing to do that job in the future. This rule also applies to folding laundry (If you don't want your shirts folded that way, do them yourself!)

TALK earnestly about the division of work. Many people (our marriage included) have very different ideas of whose job is whose. For instance, when I was growing up, my dad took car of the cars, even to the point of making sure they had gas. I never saw my mother pump gas, unless we were out of town without my dad. I never pumped my own gas, even in college when I'd come home for the weekend, my dad would follow me to the station to pump my gas for me! (I swear, I wasn't spoiled, just loved!) So, when I got married to a man whose father was in the military and away most of the time, and his mother did everything (including pumping her own gas and mowing the lawn) - we had seriously different expectations!

Use the Golden Rule, treat him the way you would LIKE to be treated (not the way he treats you). If you wouldn't want someone waking you up to yell at you for not taking out the trash, then don't do it to him. If you wouldn't want to be nagged to death and belittled for not doing something HIS way, then don't do it to him. Use forgiveness liberally and judgement/criticism sparingly.

Don't complain about your husband in front of him or your joint friends. We all need to vent every now and then, but if you complain about him in front of him, or in front of joint friends, it tears down, it destroys. Be a "builder-upper", an encourager, an appreciator. It has taken many years for my husband and I to come to a joint understanding of the division of work, and it changes as our needs and lives change. When I had our third child last year, he took over getting the kids ready for school since I was up all night with the baby. When he travels, I do his share. When we are both too pooped to pop, we just do bare minimum and it's ok if the laundry piles up for a week or if the dishes sit overnight. Sometimes spending time together is more important!

This is from the archives - originally published on my CafeMom profile August 18, 2007

1 comment:

  1. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I read every comment and do my best to visit your blog and look around!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails