Friday, July 9, 2010

The Pursuit of God

I recently downloaded a free eReader for my Palm Pre phone.  I did this because I discovered that I can download some eBooks for FREE at Project Gutenberg!

I discovered this site several years ago and have used them before to print out books to read, or download the .pdf to my computer, but a recent visit discovered the new eBook option for readers.  They also have many audio versions (I'm planning to sabatoge my husband with some soon - he only "listens"!)

Anyway, I rediscovered a classic book that I enjoyed several years ago: The Pursuit of God by A. W. Tozer.  It was written in 1948, on an overnight train trip.

Although 62 years old (ancient by popular standards!) I find it refreshing and still wholly applicable to our current climate.  I encourage you to read it in it's entirety, but I've put a few quotes below...

"Every age has its own characteristics. Right now we are in an age of religious complexity. The simplicity which is in Christ is rarely found among us. In its stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the longing of the heart. The shallowness of our inner experience, the hollowness of our worship, and that servile imitation of the world which marks our promotional methods all testify that we, in this day, know God only imperfectly, and the peace of God scarcely at all." (Page 18)

"The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever." (Page 20)

"There can be no doubt that this possessive clinging to things is one of the most harmful habits in the life. Because it is so natural it is rarely recognized for the evil that it is; but its outworkings are tragic.

We are often hindered from giving up our treasures to the Lord out of fear for their safety; this is especially true when those treasures are loved relatives and friends. But we need have no such fears. Our Lord came not to destroy but to save. Everything is safe which we commit to Him, and nothing is really safe which is not so committed." (Page 28)

That's enough for today!  I'll share more later

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I read every comment and do my best to visit your blog and look around!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails