Thursday, February 4, 2010

Eco-Chic Valentine's Gifts: Flower Hairclip From Scraps (Tutorial)

Here's a project to treat the littlest Valentine this year!

This hairbow took only about 30 minutes and was effectively free, since it was made from scraps an on-hand materials.

Remember this?  Well, I had material left over and decided to make a hair clip to match!

I started out by putting the two materials wrong sides together.  Then I sewed tear-drop shapes free-hand on my machine, each approximately 2 inches long.  This could also be done by hand, but it'll take you a long time!  After making 10-12 of these, I cut them out, leaving aproximately 1/4 of an inch around the stitches.  I also made one circle about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

I played around with the layout until I decided on 4 petals for the bottom (because they were larger) and 7 for the top layer.  I stitched each layer together with the sewing machine and a heavy zig-zag stitch.
I chose to turn the layers in opposite directions for contrast, but you could also layer them the same direction.

Next, I used a 4-strand of thread on a hand-sewing needle and assembled the flower bottom-up:
Bottom Layer
Button (to provide spacing)
Top Layer
Circle
Decorative Button
I passed the needle through twice then tied the threads off securely.

Last - I hand stitched the flower to a hairclip (this one happened to already have a pink ribbon glued to it!)

Clip it onto the ribbon and it doubles as a package topper!
Thanks for checking out my tutorial!  If you enjoyed this, please leave a comment and consider following!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! I read every comment and do my best to visit your blog and look around!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails